Thailand Visa

Most countries in the West do not need a tourist visa to Thailand and are allowed to stay for a period of 30 days as tourists. India falls under this category along with United States, UK, Belgium, France, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and China among others. This visa is valid for 60 days as the first permit and if a tourist would like to continue touring Thailand, the Immigration would extend it by another 30 days and again for an additional 10 days in all. Further extension of the visa would depend on the nationality of the applicant.

Thailand tourist visa

Tourist visa does not authorize one to work or conduct any sort of business in Thailand. It is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for tourism. The status of the visa has to be changed by a fresh application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau at Soi Suan Plu, Sathorn Road, Bangkok. Documents required for tourist visa:

  • Passport with validity not less than six months

  • Duly filled in visa application

  • Two copies of recent photographs

  • Confirmed up and down flight tickets

  • Financial statement of the applicant

  • Self attested photocopy of the application form and all other originals is necessary for applicants from Chennai, India.

Thailand transit visa

A transit visa is sought by a traveler who wishes to transit through Thailand while proceeding to the country of destination or re-enter the applicant's own country. It is also applied for by sports persons to participate in games activities and by a crew of a conveyance embarking on a port or area in Thailand. Documents that are required along with transit visa application are the same as tourist visa in addition to:

  • Letter of invitation to participate in sports (under category "S")

  • Visa of a third country in a passport

Non-Immigrant Thailand visa

Non-immigrant visa is applied for the purposes of performing official duties, to conduct business or to engage in activities relating to investment. It could also be for purposes of education, to work on a study tour and participate in projects and seminars. Missionary work, journalist activities, scientific research, specialist and skilled work are some of the other activities for application of non-immigrant visa. Certain documents that could be required for non-immigration visa include:

  • Passport valid for not less than six months.

  • Filled in visa application

  • Two copies of recent photographs of the applicant

  • Birth certificate of the applicant

  • Marriage certificate

  • Letter of acceptance from concerned schools/universities

  • Letter of acceptance from Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare

  • Letter from company or organization stating purpose of visit to Thailand

  • Correspondence with trading partners in Thailand

  • In case of employment, contract indicating the rationale for employing this applicant with details of salary and position offered

  • Work permit issued by Ministry of Labour and Social welfare

  • Corporate documents including shareholders list, business registration certificates, business profile and operations, balance sheet and income tax returns.

  • Educational records of the applicant

  • Self attested photocopy of the application form and all other originals is necessary for applicants from Chennai, India.

General guidelines:

Supplementary documents have to be provided for in case the visa officer deems necessary. Applications submitted in person are processed within 48 hours. Those sent by mail will however take about a week to ten days time. The visa granted should be activated or used within three months from the date of issuance.

Thailand does not seek any inoculations or vaccinations certificate unless applicants have been recently to an infected area. A Yellow Fever Certificate is required from persons who have been to one of the countries listed by the Thai consulate as from February 1991.

Disclaimer: These pages are intended to be used as a guide only. Visa information for most countries change often without any advance notice. It is essential that you call the respective country?s embassy before you make your travel plans. Although all due care has been taken in compiling the information available in these pages, the Webmaster or publishers of the CityRound will not be held accountable under any circumstances for any errors or omissions found in these pages.

Pages from: Visa